Sunday, December 3, 2017

And People Wonder Why I am Anxious

I drive a 16 year old car, but it is very cool, I think. Boys who carry my groceries to the car think it is cool anyway. It is a Pontiac Grand Am. I really want to keep it forever & it is a low mileage around town& occasionally to Phoenix car. It does take some attention but nothing like the other day. I knew I had some kind of oil leak & kept adding oil, but then the oil pressure light came on so I pulled into a nearby Jiffy Lube. They added oil, but it came squirting out as fast as they could put it in. They told me it wasn’t safe to drive to the repair shop so I called AAA for a tow. It took about an hour to get there. I told him I was going with the car so the tow truck driver said I could wait in the cab of his truck. I climbed up there & was keeping myself busy w/ my phone, but it did seem to be taking a long time to get the car on the truck. The driver appeared at the open window of the truck & said the winch failed & my car was DROPPED! The front fender was damaged. He told me not to worry, they would fix it, but he had to call his boss to come down & help him fix the winch. The boss was downtown so it took him another hour to get there. In the mean time I found out that when my car was dropped, it hit ANOTHER car in the parking lot. Oy Vey! The driver and his boss thanked me for not freaking out & staying calm. They didn’t know I was frozen with panic &/or just numb. They wanted to know whether I wanted the dents & scratches fixed first or the oil situation. I picked the oil to be first. I have the tow truck boss’s name. I’m to call him this week& arrange to get the front end repaired.
The oil problem turned out to be an “oil pressure sensor?”. It was relatively inexpensive thank G-d. There was also a small part on the shift handle that kept falling off & I had to look for it repeatedly on the floor before I could shift from reverse to drive. It made people in parking lots pretty angry waiting for me. They probably thought I was just spaced out. Since they don’t make Pontiacs any more there were only 4 of those little knobs left in the US, one of which was on the shelf at my repair shop so I grabbed that up too.
My problem is that these things happen to me all of the time, not the luck of having the one part right there, but the unlucky fact of having my car fall off a tow truck. I’m constantly waiting for some catastrophe to happen. I’m much better than I used to be, and I am at heart an optimist which seems contradictory but that’s me.

No comments:

Post a Comment