Thursday, January 1, 2015

Texting Etiquette

Not long ago I was invited, via text message, to an important event just 3 days away.  I was offended! Maybe you wouldn't be, but I was.  As readers will know, I need to arrange caregiving for my 88 year old mother whenever I am planning to be out of the house.  I can not leave her alone.   I stewed about this  invitation for a while, trying to figure out if I could make arrangements on such short notice.  I was also annoyed at being invited at the last moment & not even with a phone call, but with a text message.  I thought how to respond to this invitation for a few hours.  Apparently, this was not fast enough, because the person who had invited me telephoned to find out if I had received the text message! Why not call me in the first place? Why not call me a week ago?  Maybe I should save this righteous indignation for more important things, but I am not the person who could do that.  I did manage to make arrangements so that I could attend, but apparently it's still bugging me! Ha!

Again not long ago, I saw a post on Facebook that someone who was a friend of a friend had passed away the previous night. This of course was sad, but the problem was not all of the family had yet been notified!  Subsequent comments indicated that some of his relatives found out about the death on Facebook. Tragic. I think if we hear of a death, we should keep our fingers off the keys & make a phone call, an old fashioned telephone call.  I appreciate the irony that someone who is blogging details of her life would object to people sharing too much on Facebook, but this is my choice & my life. 
I know a few people who don't like congratulations, happy birthdays, invitations, etc issued online.  They want phone calls or greeting cards.  Yes, I know a wonderful woman who has a full collection of greeting cards & sends them out for holidays & birthdays.  They are a treat to receive.  "Snail" mail has its positive side.  It's fun to open the mail box & find something other than a bill or junk mail.  It's touching that someone took the time to personally reach out to you.  I am not that motivated to send out cards like my friend does, but she likes me anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment