Tuesday, October 7, 2014

A nice outing

 Tuesday, October 7, 2014

I did go for the yoga class, but was disappointed when I found that the teacher was sick so there would be no class.  As a "newbie" my name wasn't yet on the list to call ahead of time. However, the trip to the Oncology offices was not a wasted trip.  Far from it.  I poked around the resource room acquainting myself with the loads of reading material & brochures for various programs.  I only now feel ready to participate in some of these programs.  I don't know how people find the time or energy to do some of these things while they are in the midst of treatment.  Since the last surgery 5 weeks ago, I think I can finally begin to realize that most of this is in my rear view mirror (with help of my doctors & G-d).  For so long, one thing after another kept complicating my recovery.  I was always on alert, waiting for "the other shoe to drop" (shades of PTSD anyone?).

When I walked into the resource room, a feeling a deja vu came over me & I realized this was the room my mom & I brought my sister's wig to donate 8 years ago after she died(from the same cancer that I had).  They have a wig lending program there just like a library. I started talking to the volunteer behind the desk & we had a wonderful long conversation.  Another lady walked in who also hadn't received notice about the class being cancelled.  She had a cute little therapy dog with her.  Lily (the dog) came over to me & let me stroke her ears for the longest time.  She looked like a very small cocker spaniel-"parti" colored her human mommy told me.  I could tell she had been around for a while cause her muzzle was graying.  She showed me some of her tricks which were impressive like picking up the end of her leash & standing against a person to give it back(especially helpful for people who can't bend over to pick up dropped items).  Then the lady behind the desk said "Isn't that something how she can do all of that on only 3 legs".  Three legs? I hadn't even noticed! The lady with her then held her up so I could see her scars.  I then heard the sad but ultimately successful saga of how this had happened.  Poor Lily was minding her own business in her fenced back yard when a neighborhood dog escaped his fenced back yard, jumped into hers & attacked her viciously.  The owner ran out of the house & pulled her dog away from the attacking dog (incredibly dangerous, but I would have done the same thing).  The lady suffered 2 fractured vertebrae in the process of saving her dog. Lily's left front leg had to be amputated.  Apparently the vet bills alone were $8,000 & the case ended up in court. Sad story, but I was so glad I heard it with Lily  right there in front of me looking very content. 

After I finished in the resource room, I went to the lobby to shop.  Yes, shop.  They were having a fund raising boutique sale (purses, scarves, hats,jewelry & purses).  Apparently they will be there the first Monday of the month until the winter holidays.  Fun, fun, fun.... Mostly I just window shopped, but somehow I did justify a PINK wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment